Inspirational Photography Quotes are some of our favorite ways to reflect on the wisdom of others. American photojournalist and photographer, Dorothea Lange once said, “Photography takes an instant out of time, altering life by holding it still”. Nothing can be truer than this in these tough times of the COVID-19 pandemic.
At the time this was written, we were quarantined inside our homes (by will or by government order) to avoid the monster of a virus outside, but who knows how big or small that monster is? Stories give us great insight. We are all consuming stories, from across the world, to know the seriousness and impact of this disease but do we believe these stories without photographic proof?
“I don’t trust words. I trust pictures,” Gilles Peress once said. We believe what we see, hence why photographers are still working day in and out, documenting the state of affairs.
The aim of these photographs is to give us enough thorough information about current events, while also serving as a reminder of the times for coming generations. But for those of us that are living through it, some of these images will forever be etched in our hearts.
Want more inspiration? Check out the ShootDotEdit story with co-founder and CEO Garrett Delph here.
Immortalizing Moments Through Inspirational Photography Quotes
Berenice Abbott once rightly quoted — “Photography helps people to see.” In these times, if it was not for photography, we would have not known and believed much about the difficult times outside our homes. While there are many who have lost jobs and livelihoods with few ways to make ends meet amidst this lockdown, there are also some who have lost someone dear or are still waiting for that one piece of good news from the hospital, praying their loved ones will be okay.
On the other hand, there are some with previously busy lives who are now spending time with their families or reflecting upon life itself. This time of inner reflection can help us be more compassionate towards ourselves and our fellow human beings.
Over the years, photographers have used their art to reflect on life, to express and inspire people to see what their eye would miss otherwise. Besides thought-provoking photographs, they have immortalized their feelings through words. Here we bring you 10 timeless and inspirational quotes on photography by photographers to give you a point of focus for present times.
10 Inspirational Photography Quotes by Photographers
- “For me, documentary photography has always come with great responsibility. Not just to tell the story honestly and with empathy, but also to make sure the right people hear it. When you photograph somebody who is in pain or discomfort, they trust you to make sure the images will act as their advocate.” – Giles Duley
- “You can look at a picture for a week and never think of it again. You can also look at a picture for a second and think of it all your life.” – Joan Miro
- “I really believe there are things nobody would see if I didn’t photograph them.” – Diane Arbus
- “Photographs open doors into the past, but they also allow a look into the future.” – Sally Mann
- “When I photograph, what I’m really doing is seeking answers to things.” – Wynn Bullock
- “We are making photographs to understand what our lives mean to us.” – Ralph Hattersley
- “There is one thing the photograph must contain, the humanity of the moment.” – Robert Frank
- “A good photograph is one that communicates a fact, touches the heart and leaves the viewer a changed person for having seen it. It is, in a word, effective.” – Irving Penn
- “Black and white are the colors of photography. To me they symbolize the alternatives of hope and despair to which mankind is forever subjected.” – Robert Frank
- “The best images are the ones that retain their strength and impact over the years, regardless of the number of times they are viewed.” – Anne Geddes
Connect With Us
Reading Inspirational Photography Quotes from top photographers can help you stay passionate and also help you stay determined to work on your skills. You can leave us a comment, at the bottom of our blog, about which quotes touched your heart the most. You can tweet to us here, leave us a message on our Facebook page, or drop a comment on our Instagram.
For more inspirational quotes, you can read our “165 OF THE BEST PHOTOGRAPHY QUOTES FROM TOP PHOTOGRAPHERS” blog.
At ShootDotEdit, we love inspiring photographers, but we also love helping photographers succeed by editing wedding photos for them. If you’re curious to see what everyone is talking about, check out our pricing here.